Tuesday, January 11, 2011

"I Refuse to Stand Idle While This Happens"

V-Day is more than fundraising -- it's the wonderful people who dedicate themselves to the campaign. They are true Vagina Warriors. 

I'll be posting profiles of some of our Vagina Warriors so that you can see the people behind the scenes. 

Cris
Cris has rocked the "Angry Vagina" and "The Little Coochie Snorcher That Could" monologues in years past.
  
When did you become a Vagina Warrior? What inspired you to join V-Day?
I first became inspired to join the V-Day campaign after seeing Westminster's production of The Vagina Monologues. I was deeply moved by the stories of women that have survived sexual violence. I wanted to do something to raise awareness and work toward ending the violence. 

To you, why is it important to stop sexual violence?
Every human being has a right to their own body. No one can tell you what to do with your body, especially if it is something to which you object. Unfortunately, many individuals continue to have their rights violated by others. As a fellow human, I refuse to stand idle while this happens. I'm only one person, but I will give all myself to the cause because sexual violence is one of the worst forms of terrorism on this planet. And just like the V-Day campaign declares, I will fight "until the violence stops."

What is your favorite monologue from the show?
My favorite monologue is "My Vagina Was My Village." It's not a funny piece, but it's my favorite because it is so powerful. I feel that it is easy for many of us to ignore what is happening around the world because we are in our happy American bubble. It's important for us to recognize the sexual violence that takes place everywhere, from the house next door to a country on the other side of the planet. 

Is there anything that makes you an outrageous Warrior? Any catch phrase? Accessory? 
I don't really have a catch phrase, but my vagina is my weapon of choice. :) I'm currently working on designing a rear window decal for my truck to promote the V-Day campaign for 2011. It should be interesting to see what kind of reactions I get from others. Any attention will be good. I want people to ask questions because it raises awareness.

If your vagina could talk, what would it say?
"Won't you be my neighbor?" It wants other vaginas to join the fight.

~Peace and Happiness~
Stacy
Vagina Warrior Extraordinaire

No comments:

Post a Comment