Tuesday, January 4, 2011

"Fun, Frisky, Upbeat, and Packs a Punch!"

V-Day is more than fundraising -- it's the wonderful people who dedicate themselves to the campaign. They are true Vagina Warriors. 

I'll be posting profiles of some of our Vagina Warriors so that you can see the people behind the scenes.  

Cassidy
An outdoor enthusiast, Cassidy finds time to explore the Wasatch and market V-Day 2011.
 
When did you become a Vagina Warrior? What inspired you to you to join V-Day?
I had two vivid V-Day revelations my freshman year. First, my roommate told me that she had immediately deleted an email about The Vagina Monologues because she was mortified by the title. This thoughtless reaction from a smart, fun girl who blasted songs that graphically described the female body (and things to do with it) just didn’t sit right with me. Second, I saw my first performance of The Vagina Monologues, and I thought, “I don’t know exactly what all this is about, but I know it’s powerful.” I performed in the Monologues my sophomore year, and my involvement has escalated every year since.

To you, why is it important to stop sexual violence?
The V-Day movement has adopted “until the violence stops” as its shorthand mantra; similarly, the reason V-Day resonates with me is it defends the position that sexual violence shouldn’t happen AT ALL. For
me, I guess the point isn’t the stats or the numbers. Regardless ofrates or sample sizes or survey conditions, I think that this issue affects more than just the individuals who are abused. Sexual violence and violence against women is a global problem that degrades societies from their cores, and the simple fact that it continues and we’re not outraged reflects our collective sense of social ethic and dignity. To me, it’s unacceptable.
 
What is your favorite monologue from the show?
"My Short Skirt" is fun, frisky, upbeat, and packs a punch. It promotes pride and ownership of your own body to insist that you can do anything. It provides a buoyant change of pace in the show and leaves everyone feeling empowered.

Is there anything that makes you an outrageous Warrior?
I really just want to talk. If through civil, compassionate conversation I can show people that their choices powerfully affect social perception, then, well, I’m satisfied.

If your vagina could talk, what would it say? 
“So many beautiful reasons I have to be happy how I am”

~Peace and Happiness~
Stacy
Vagina Warrior Extraordinaire

No comments:

Post a Comment