Friday, December 24, 2010

"Emotions Move Us To Action"

V-Day is more than fundraising -- it's the wonderful people who dedicate themselves to the campaign. They are true Vagina Warriors. 

I'll be posting profiles of some of our Vagina Warriors so that you can see the people behind the scenes. 

Dominique
Dominique has played roles in The Vagina Monologues for several years, connecting the transgender community and V-Day at Westminster.


When did you become a Vagina Warrior? What inspired you to be involved with V-Day?
I first participated in 2009. I have wanted to participate ever since I first heard about V-Day (about 2002). Not actually having a vagina, I didn't feel worthy to participate. I got my vagina on Thanksgiving Day in 2003. I never had an opportunity to participate until a mutual friend of the director of the Westminster production introduced us. With two of my Transgender sisters, we performed the Transgender Monologue. Sharing the stage with all the other Vagina Warriors was one of the most
                                                                                                                    moving experiences of my life.

To you, why is it important to stop sexual violence?
I’m not only an activist against sexual violence; I'm also a survivor of childhood sexual assault. The fallout followed me well into adulthood and still affects me today. Although I'm a huge flirt, I rarely, if ever, date. Flirting is a mask I wear to hide how insecure, shy, and terrified I am of dating and intimacy. I want to help save others from the turmoil I have dealt with nearly my entire life.

What is your favorite monologue from the show?
It is too hard to pick a favourite. I love the transgender piece because it includes a marginalized community within a marginalized community. I also love the orgasm monologue. It keeps us in stitches. I also love the moving pieces that make the audience and cast members cry. Emotions move us to action.

Is there anything that makes you an outrageous Vagina Warrior? Any catch phrase? Accessory?
I don't know. I'd love to hear what catch phrase others would say about me. Perhaps I'm the vagina of many accents. 

If your vagina could talk, what would it say?
My vagina would say, "I wish we'd have had a better surgeon." Then, after some reflection, my vagina would say, "Where's my uterus? I want to have a baby grow next to me and to be born through me."
 
~Peace and Happiness~ 
Stacy
Vagina Warrior Extraordinaire


No comments:

Post a Comment