Wednesday, December 22, 2010

"Thriving in a Supportive Environment"

V-Day is more than fundraising -- it's the wonderful people who dedicate themselves to the campaign. They are true Vagina Warriors. 

I'll be posting profiles of some of our Vagina Warriors so that you can see the people behind the scenes. 

Stacy
Stacy has served on V-Day since 2008, beginning as Stage Manager for The Vagina Monologues. She's also been Assistant Coordinator 2009 and Coordinator 2010. Now, she helps out when needed, acting as advice-giver and gap-filler.

When did you become a Vagina Warrior? What inspired you to join V-Day?
A friend introduced me to V-Day the first year I came to Westminster. I was fascinated by the women running the campaign. They had a genuine and passionate energy about them. Each of us discovered we had a personal reason for working on V-Day. I hadn't faced my reason before V-Day and the other Vagina Warriors inspired the strength to begin that journey.

To you, why is it important to stop sexual violence?
I remain with V-Day because I've begun to understand the immense impact sexual violence has on our lives. In Utah, 1 in 3 women will be assaulted and, nationwide, 1 in 6 men will be assaulted.  Not to mention the thousands of victims worldwide, like the ongoing femicide in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. We must raise awareness about sexual violence so that survivors can begin thriving in a supportive environment, rather than quietly suffering from their hurts. No one, absolutely no one, deserves to be a victim of sexual violence.

What is your favorite monologue from the show?
I performed "Because He Liked to Look At It" in 2010, so that's obviously one of my favorites. It's the only one where you voice both a man and a woman. Other than that, I'd say the Spotlight monologue each year always deeply affects me.

Is there anything that makes you an outrageous Warrior?
I have a hand-made vagina necklace. That's right. A realistic pink and white vagina on a necklace; her name is Elizabeth. VulvaLoveLovely on etsy.com crafts vagina and uterus-friendly gifts. You should check out her shop.

If your vagina could talk, what would it say? 
"Don't stop me now 'cuz I'm havin' such a good time!"

~Peace and Happiness~
Stacy
Vagina Warrior Extraordinaire

No comments:

Post a Comment